Tuesday, August 6, 2013

the King Jesus gospel - some resources.

As you may have noticed, I've been doing quite a lot of thinking about church and the gospel.  On one level, it's all quite simple.  This is something I am reminded of time and time again when I celebrate communion.  This is why anyone - old and young, educated or not, rich or poor - can know and follow Christ.  Each one of us responds to God in our lives in a simple but profound way.

On the other hand, I know from experience that - paradoxically - beginning to understand this 'simple' Gospel is far from simple.  A couple of authors in particular have been very helpful to me in connecting the dots and helping me get a fuller understanding of who Christ is and how he fits with everything else in the Bible (or maybe how everything else fits with him!).

The first is N.T. Wright.  This New Testament scholar and prolific writer clearly loves Christ and cares deeply about his readers.  His writing is refreshingly good, and he makes efforts to speak to several different audiences.  I will note here two books I have read and one I would like to read:
             
The first is written to any Christian who is thoughtful about their faith.  The second two are more aimed at seminary students and pastors, I believe, but I think they are well worth the read.  I have only read the first two; Jesus and the Victory of God is on my reading list)

The second author is Scot McKnight.  On a recent family road trip, my dad suggested we listen to a series of talks McKnight gave at Regent College in 2012. (If you think this is a strange road trip activity, you don't know my family yet!  Now you can see where I get it from...)  I HIGHLY RECOMMEND listening to these talks.  Yes, you have to pay a little for them, but Regent is a great school to support.  Alternatively, you can read his book.  I haven't read it yet, so my recommendation is given cautiously.
Here is the link to his talks on the King Jesus Gospel.

Happy listening/reading!  If you do read/listen to these, I'm happy to discuss them with you!

2 comments:

  1. Bethany,
    We downloaded the lectures and Dan is going to listen to them when he has a drive to and from Cross Country meets. We wanted to find good podcasts or sermons (good music, too) to listen to so if you have any other ideas, please let us know!
    -Susanna and Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Enjoy. I'm sure it will prompt some interesting discussion.

    Sermon favorites of mine are HTB (http://www.htb.org.uk/talks-videos) and a church I went to in DC (http://rezchurch.org/parish-news/sermons/). Also, the new dean of the Houghton chapel, Mike Jordan, is an excellent preacher. You can find his sermons both at the Houghton wesleyan website and chapel recordings.

    ReplyDelete