Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2013 in Books

Happy New Year! It's time for my annual post on books I read this past year. Thoughts, recommendations, cups of tea, etc welcome!
this is what moving looked like this summer

  • Abide in Christ, by Andrew Murray.  This book was a close companion and teacher for me during most of my time at Trinity Forum Academy (TFA).  Highly recommended.
  • Till We Have Faces, by C. S. Lewis.  One of Lewis's more unique and haunting books.  (This was a re-read for me)
  • Authenticity by Gilmore and Pine.  A fascinating look at how authenticity has arisen in our western economy as a factor above availability, price, and even quality.
  • Cross-Shattered Christ by Stanley Hauerwas.  Highly recommended Lenten reflections.  This book made me want to read much more of Hauerwas.
  • The New Testament and the People of God by N. T. Wright.  An essential book for my writing on the Church during my time at TFA.  Impressive in its breadth and exciting in its depth.  I'm now reading the second in his "Christian Origins" series, of which this is the first.
  • Desiring the Kingdom by James K. A. Smith.  Yet another recommended read: Smith talks about how people are shaped not so much by worldviews, but by desires.  Using a broad definition of liturgy as an enacted/embodied pattern which shapes our heart/desires,  he discusses various liturgies embedded in our culture and liturgies that we can more intentionally practice within the church so as to shape our desires toward the kingdom.
  • The Foolishness of God by Ferenc Visky.  Reflections of a hungarian pastor who survived years in prison under the communist regime.
  • Beginning to Pray by Anthony Bloom.  A thought-provoking book written by an Orthodox Archbishop, applicable to all stages of spiritual maturity.
  • The Wisdom of Stability by Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove.  I read this out of my interest in the New Monastic groups that are springing up around the country.  A quick read, and thought-provoking as well.
  • Too Deep for Words by Thelma Hall, r.c.  This is a book on the practice of Lectio Divina.  If you don't know what that is, read this book (or talk to me!)
  • The Supper of the Lamb by Robert Farrar Capon.  So good!  If you visit me you may be required to read sections of this out loud in my kitchen :).
  • Out of Solitude by Henri J. M. Nouwen.  Short and excellent.
  • The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame.  Having never before gotten around to reading this, I enjoyed some light reading for a change :).
  • Walk in a Relaxed Manner by Joyce Rupp.  This is the reflections of a 60-year-old nun who walked the 450 mile Camino de Santiago pilgrimage route through Spain with a friend.  While the writing is not perhaps the best (a bit repetitive), she shares lots of wisdom which is relevant not only to those on pilgrimage, but to all on the 'journey of life' (if I may be so cliche!).  Definitely read this if you're planning on walking the Camino!  
  • The King Jesus Gospel by Scott McKnight.  Category-shaking, thought provoking book.  Read this book - or, if you prefer a more polished style, read some N. T. Wright (of whom McKnight is clearly a fan).  
  • The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.  Funny, but... not really my type of humor.  I think I laugh more reading Wright or Chesterton.
  • Justification by N. T. Wright.  Thought-provoking and interesting.  It has certainly challenged my understanding of the New Testament.  I especially enjoyed the chapter on Galatians.  However, in my opinion this is not his best writing, since much of it is necessarily reactionary.  Read Surprised by Hope or another of his books before you read this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment